According to the USDA, the Super Bowl is the second highest eating day of the year (behind Thanksgiving, of course). With all the booze, wings, pizza and snacks, I can’t say that I’m that surprised. So is it possible to be a healthy nosher while cheering on Manning (or Brady…boooo!)? Absolutely! Here are 10 quick tips toward a nutritious, diet-friendly game plan.
1. Fuel up with a light meal before your soiree.
2. Use and stick to one small plate for portion control.
3. Protein switcheroo…swap beef for leaner meats, beans and/or soy products.
4. Nix the chips. Get your crunch fix from veggies, Popchips, popcorn, baked pita slices, nuts, etc.
5. Alternate each alcoholic beverage with a tall glass of water.
6. Consider using whole wheat or lettuce wraps instead of buns/rolls.
7. Avoid high calorie juice or soda-based cocktails.
8. Go for the hummus, salsa and guacamole over creamy dressings/dips.
9. Use nutritious substitutes (like Greek yogurt, avocado, natural sugars, etc.) to lighten up your recipe.
10. Load your chili up with fresh vegetables and take a timeout on the cheese.
Who are you rooting for?
Sprinkled with Love,